Yellow and Black Cupcake Celebrate Your Day
I watched a five-minute card video by Gina K. Designs. She used flowered paper and ephemera from her recent card kit. I really like the layout she used and decided to make a card with a different theme.
I had this great black and grey scrap of paper sitting on my desk. I don't even know the company that created it, but I thought it would make a great masculine birthday card. I cut down the paper with a stitched rectangle and matted it with black cardstock. It was adhered to the front of a top folding white A2 cardbase with dotliner adhesive.
In Gina K.'s Designs she had a 2" strip of white cardstock, matted with black cardstock on the sides only that was adhered about 1/2" from the left side of the card, over the patterned paper background. She also used a flag die that was matted with black and a circle die with a black mat as well. When I went to put the elements together I just didn't like all the white on top of each other. So, I ran the 2" strip of white through the Big Shot with an argyle embossing folder. This gave it just enough visual detail to separate the two elements from one another.
In Gina's design she stamped the sentiment at the end of the flag die cut. Since I wanted to make this a birthday card I went searching to find the right sentiment that was the right size for the design. Once the sentiment was dry the circle element was adhered to the top of the flag, creating one element. Foam Tape was added to the back of the element to provide a little depth and dimension. However, because it was resting on the 2" strip it was a little uneven, so an additional strip of thin foam tape was added to the right of the flag and circle element and it was perfect.
For the focal image creating this into a birthday card I pulled out one of my favorites, My Favorite Things Cupcakes and Sprinkles. The cupcake liner and frosting were cut from white cardstock and ink blended yellow, with a darker yellow combination on the liner. These two were adhered together by a thin strip of liquid glue on the top of the cupcake liner. The sprinkles for the cupcake were cut from gold glitter cardstock and adhered in place with liquid glue and the card was done.
· My Favorite Things Cupcakes and Sprinkles
· Clearly Besotted It’s Your Birthday
· VersaFine Clair Nocturne Ink
· Distress Oxide Inks: Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed, Wild Honey
· Paper Accents Gold Glitter Cardstock
· Neenah Classic Crest 80# Solar White Cardstock
· Gina K. Designs Base Weight Onyx Black Cardstock
· Gina K. Designs 120# White Cardstock
· Patterned Paper from Scraps
· My Favorite Things A2 Stitched Rectangle Die
· My Favorite Things Jumbo Stitched Fishtail Banner Die
· Ellen Hutson Essential Circles Die
· Spellbinders Circle Die
· Stampin’ Up Absolutely Argyle Embossing Folder
· Simon Says Stamp Big Mama Foam Tape
· Bearly Arts Precision Craft Glue
· Kokuyo Dotliner Long Adhesive